[Vrstream] BARD Downloads and JAWS?

Tom Rutherford n8euj at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 11 12:11:01 EDT 2012

Hi, Becky and all.

You're welcome to whatever help I was able to give.  As for setup software
for routers, I've always been disappointed in it, not necessarily for its
lack of accessability, but for its assumption that I'm an idiot.  I've had
one Belkin and two Linksys routers, and all three had the most infuriating
software I've ever seen.  The Belkin wanted me to play Ethernet Twister.
First, put the CD in so that it could take a snapshot of my configuration,
then unhook the modem from the 'puter, plug the router in, plug the modem
into the router, etc., and keep all of the wall warts straight, then hit
[Enter] or whatever to tell the software I'm ready.  I can't remember what
the major malfunction was with the first Linksys router's software, but
after I used it, I realized that it would've been much faster to do it by
hand.  Ditto with this present router, except that using the software
actually cost me a lot of steps, because it created a wide-open guest
account that I couldn't close or otherwise modify EXCEPT by using the
software.  And, what I had to do there was to set the router back to factory
defaults, then unload the software and configure it all by hand, including
the 63-character passphrase that I used for WPA2-PSK/AES security for Wi-Fi.

So, good luck with whatever router you wind up with.  Any chance you can get
help from your sighted friend again?  I wish I were there to help.  I'm
getting good at routers.  :-)  One helpful thing with those long passphrases
for Wi-Fi:  Keep your passphrase in a textfile in a safe place, preferably
on some kind of flash memory.  It's easier to copy and paste than to type it
all in from scratch, especially when you consider that it has to be entered
for not only the router, but also for as many wireless devices as you have.

"She said it was either her or the ham radio.  Over."