[Vrstream] What have I done to my stream?

Tom Rutherford n8euj at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 30 15:02:40 EDT 2013

Rats.  They really need to work on their error trapping, or at least have
some sort of no-nonsense factory reset.  Back in the '90s and the early
aughts, when I was doing dialup connections, I had one of the U.S. Robotics
Courier V.Everything modems.  It had flash memory in it which allowed the
user to update its firmware.  There were dire warnings of what could happen
if we lost power during a firmware update, but fortunately, if that
happened, it wouldn't totally brick the modem.  It was possible, with some
very obscure commands, to reboot the modem so that it would come up in a
totally non-functional state, except for one thing:  If you used a certain
file transfer protocol to send the firmware update to the modem, it would
work, and then after a power cycle or two, the modem would come back.
Fortunately, I never had to do this.

"She said it was either her or the ham radio.  Over."